Your bathroom is usually the most used room in your home and is often a high priority when it comes to remodeling. A new updated or stylish look and improved functionality are the most popular reasons to remodel. The overall bathroom design along with the material and fixture selection will set the budget when it comes to bathroom remodeling. Some major costs when planning a bathroom renovation include:
- Vanity cabinets. This can be anything from standard to wall-mounted and even Euro-style.
- Hard surfaces. These include marble, granite, or quartz countertops as well as different tile options on your floor, walls, and shower.
- Plumbing. This can cover a large scope of work in a bathroom and can vary between setting a new fixture to completely relocating drains and supply lines with a new layout.
- Bath. This can be a free-standing tub with in-ground fixtures or a sunken tub in a tile deck or just a standard 5' tub/shower combo.
- Frameless glass shower surround or metal frame
- Lighting and electrical. This can include decorative feature chandeliers or pendants as well as vanity and recessed lighting.
- Fixtures. Plumbing fixtures such as shower, sink, toilet, and tubs can play a major role in the overall budget.
Small bathroom remodel
$5,000 - $18,000
It's possible to do a small remodel on a $5,000 budget, but it will only allow simple cosmetic change and replacing a few fixtures or other items. A small bathroom remodel can extend up to $18,000 but will mean leaving electrical and plumbing in the same locations as well as refinishing an existing vanity or replacing key tile locations with affordable selections.
Average bathroom remodel
$18,000 - $35,000
An average bathroom remodel is usually a hallway bath or smaller master bath area. The budget for an average remodel includes a complete makeover using entry-level to average-level material costs. All plumbing and electrical lines usually remain at their original locations.
Larger bathroom remodel
$35,000 - $65,000
A space that's larger than 5'x8' needing a complete makeover would fall in the larger remodeling category. This type of project will include upgraded cabinets, countertops, and hard surfaces as well as the possibility of relocating a few of the fixtures, supply, or drain lines. Upgrades in lighting layout and design are available in this range.
Upscale master bathroom remodel
To transform an outdated or basic bathroom into a truly luxurious space will often require a completely new floor plan design. This can involve expanding the bathroom area, relocating walls, plumbing, and electrical as well as upgrading all finishes to the most luxurious on the market.